Sunday, December 1, 2013

Unheard Cries

I am used to early mornings
darkness before dawn

Dhoti and kurta
Empty bag
I left before they woke.

I feared
they would see my fear
Didn't want to
weaken by resolve.

I walked 5 miles
in the silence of twilight
the riot of colours and sounds
beginning to embrace the morning
while the darkness in my life
engulfed me further.

I took the first bus
packed with others like me
they carrying hope
I carried despair

Their bags were full
joy in their banter
sadness in their eyes
Mine was empty
I didn't plan to return.

I avoided familiar eyes
hiding in the morning darkness
I needed to do this.
I didn't have a choice.

I overheard of a girl
raped by her employer
I heard of her courage
and prayed her to be strong.

Another in a city
a name I had not heard
was told it was in India
somewhere in the east
She succumbed
I said a silent prayer.

I wondered
'Will it be worth it?'
I didn't know what else to do.
My children's empty faces
haunted me for months
They didn't deserve this
neither did she.

She gave me her life
stood by me
as hyenas fed
on everything we owned
They took it all away
yesterday was the last straw
my dignity.

The big city bustled
I made my way quietly
Bought my provisions
and waited at the gates

I watched in fear
as the morning workers arrived
Oblivious of my intentions

I wish someone would stop
even if its to smile
for a moment more
give me hope.
Alas!

I hesitated
just for a moment.
my children...

'I need to do this my children.
Someone needs to hear our cries.'

I doused myself
Lit the match
The pain unbearable
flames erupted
it ended quickly.

I rose above
hoping to watch
the march of freedom
to save my children.
There was none. It was in vain.

My name made news
Vitthal Bhimappa Arabhavi.
There were protests
tyres burnt, roads blocked
but none to fight
for my children's hunger
and their bleak future.

I am sorry my children,
I tried, everything...
No one heard my cry
No one...

No comments:

Post a Comment